Every Social media has their special purposes; what they’re best known for. Yes, no doubt that it’s all for communication, sharing and connecting. LinkedIn is known for listing professions, companies, and, careers.
Just like we all know Facebook and Twitter for 100% socialization channel, Reddit and Yahoo Answer best known for community questions and answers (contribution) like Quera.com. Then, Pinterest and Instagram is best known for more of pictures and information listing too.
LinkedIn.com is a career listing platform that enables users to profile their personalities, career, and professions.
Also, Companies makes effective use of LinkedIn to hire and employ, This is why creating an appealing profile is good. To enable Industries to know you and be able to contact you for what you do for a living.
On this page, I have covered Full steps to help you to set up your account. But first, we have started with the LinkedIn Sign up, then complete other LinkedIn profiling.
All you do is follow the steps and get yours right.
And if in for any reason you are confused, use the comment box below to express yourself. I will definitely attend to your comments.
So lets get on broad with the LinkedIn Sign up for a new account.
Requirements for LinkedIn Sign Up
You will be needing the following in order to create your LinkedIn account;
- Your Email Account
- Phone number
- other information about your personal interest and area of specialties.
How to Sign Up for A New LinkedIn Account by Email
- Go to www.linkedin.com
- Click on Join Now. You will see the button all over the page
- The LinkedIn registration form should open for you. Now fill out the form with your email (or phone number) and your password.
- Then click on Agree & Join
- Next, start filling out your Name. Then click Continue
- Enter your phone number and click Submit to receive a verification from LinkedIn.
- Check your Phone SMS for the Verification code. Then enter the code. Then click Submit
Building Your Profile Starts From Here
- Your country may have been inputted by default. But you can manually add it doesn’t.
Type in your City or District and click Next.
- Enter your Job title and the name of your company you represent. Then select what your company is all about from the available options.
While typing your job title – you can select options. But you have to typ in your company, expect if your company is listed among the options that show out.
You don’t have to click the “I’m a student” if you’re not. Just proceed in clicking the Continue button.
- You may be redirected to the login page where you enter your email address and password. Then a page to verify your email address comes after.
LinkedIn wants to verify your email address, by so doing, verification code will be sent to your email address that you’ve used to register this LinkedIn account.
Open your email, open the message sent by LinkedIn then type in the code in the box nd click Agree & Confirm.
The image above is a copy of my email verification sent by Linkedin. You see, you can either copy the code and paste on the LinkedIn email confirmation page or simply click on the Agree & Confirm your email button, which may require you to sign in LinkedIn again if you’re using a separate browser to access your email though.
- From here, you just completed your LinkedIn profile account set up, You can see from the image below that the profile section is completed.
Now moving over to the next selection of the LinkedIn account setup
Importing Email Contacts
- The page above is asking whether to import your email contacts that are already on Linkedin. Of which this is something you can now or later.
So click Continue to do that now, or Skip to do later or never
But I will be skipping this part because I don’t have email contacts to add.
Connecting with people
- This is a compulsory section but not a MUST. This section of the Linkedin Account signup allows you to Connect with few people that may interest you to see your updates and keep in touch.
The Add Connection button won’t be active until you select.
You can as well skip or select all to add to your connection. I will be adding those few people to go further. But on your LinkedIn account page, you can always add other connections.
Adding a Profile Photo
- Next, is to add a profile picture to enable people recognize you faster.
LinkedIn provides options of either importing from your device or from your Google account or Facebook account.
You can as well skip this section to do later. But understand that all these Linkedin sign up processes is to create a complete and presentable profile page.
Setting Up a Linkedin Job Opportunity Alert
- By default all your information must have been fixed on the form. You just have to confirm that you’re good with that then click on Create job alert.
This is an opportunity for you to get the right job opportunity and never to miss any.
Get the LinkedIn App
- LinkedIn will want to SMS you link to download the LinkedIn app.
You can click the skip button if it is not going to be convenient for you to get the link. Like me, I use a non-browsing phone so I prefer to skip, then download the app from the app store.
Follow Your Interests for Regular Updates
- Now Follow those that share the same interest with you or that you like to connect with, even if their interest is different from yours.
Here you MUST select up to 5 people before clicking the Finish button
You will be redirected to your LinkedIn main dashboard/page upon clicking the Finish button.
But one last thing; you have to login into your email account and verify your LinkedIn registration. Actually, this is what we’re supposed to have done the moment the registration form was submitted.
For your account to fully function you have to confirm your registration with the LinkedIn social platform.
However, you will always see a warning message at the top of your account like this;
We’re almost there! We just need you to confirm your email address. Check your firstname.lastname@example.org account or request a new confirmation link.
That’s all on LinkedIn sign up for a new account.
LinkedIn New Account Registration With Facebook Account
Using a third-party account to sign up for an account is a quite experience compare with using email or filling out a complete registration. LEARN MORE ABOUT IT HERE.
It’s faster, but in terms of LinkedIn account you still form to fill out and stages to complete about your interest, connection, and your profession – as listed above. That is certain!
The steps to use Facebook account is;
Click on the Facebook icon button named “Connect with Facebook“, then you will be redirected to Facebook Login page, once you login, you accept and give Facebook the consent of using your Facebook information to sign up.
Then you will be redirected to your LinkedIn page to continue from Step #6 above.
But already LinkedIn will pull out your Facebook details like Name, phone number, location, etc to fill out some of the forms. Though you can still edit any information you aren’t comfortable with.
LinkedIn New Account Registration On Mobile App
Creating a LinkedIn account from the mobile app is the same as using the email and Facebook process.
But you just need to download the LinkedIn app first. And that is the reason at a point LinkedIn will ask if you want then to send you an APK or link to go to your app store and download the app.
The links below allows you to download LinkedIn from iOS and Android app store
Getting Started – Reviewing Features of LinkedIn Main Page/Dashboard
Now that you have successfully created your LinkedIn account, Let me take you around the page to enable you to get started. With time you will get used to the platform and enjoy using it.
The #1 indicates navigation to your profile account, settings and privacy. Also, the same place to get the Sign out option.
The #2 indicates list of your feed, people you may want to follow that interest you or share the same interest with you.
The #3 is the messenger bar. You can start a live chat with your connections and people currently online. You can also drop your messages to your followers and they see the message when they come online.
The #4 is where you make your personal update, just like Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest – where you can instantly make a post with text, images, video, etc.
The #5 You can access your profile from there. It is a kind of shortcut to your profile. To edit, add and set.
The #6 is where you see the list of released update of yours and those you are following – allowed to see their post. On Facebook, it is called the timeline.
Do you have any question?
Please use the comment box below.